Pressurized water reactors (PWR) use boron to control reactivity. Many operating nuclear power plants of this type have strict release limits for boron releases to waterways. Fortum BORES (Boron Removal System) water treatment solution has been developed to treat and recover boric acid from PWR power plants.
BORES removes boron efficiently
BORES can be used to treat all the plant’s system waters containing boron (e.g. fuel pool waters, boron concentrate waters etc.) and also evaporator concentrates.
In the simple, efficient and robust treatment process of BORES, a very high decontamination factor for boron can be achieved.
Key benefits for customers:
- Zero boron discharge to waterways
- Considerable savings in disposal cost
- BORES produces radiochemically clean and dry alkaline borate or boric acid. Boric acid can be disposed or re-used as conventional, non-radioactive waste.
- Use of BORES results in minimal amount of secondary waste.
- Cost efficient and robust treatment process
- BORES is simple but effective process with less components and equipment
Tailored solutions to maximize customer value
BORES systems are always tailored according to customer’s needs. BORES delivery may include
- Conceptual and detailed design
- Delivery of treatment system
- Support for operation and maintenance
- Ion exchange media
We also can offer water treatment with BORES as a service.