Pressurised water reactors (PWR) use boron to control reactivity. Many operating nuclear power plants of this type have strict limits for boron releases to waterways. Fortum BORES® (Boron Removal System) water treatment solution was developed to treat and recover the boric acid from PWR power plants.
BORES® removes boron efficiently
BORES® can be used to treat all of the system waters containing boron (e.g. fuel pool waters, boron concentrate waters etc.) as well as the evaporator concentrates of a plant.
In the simple, efficient and robust treatment process of BORES®, a very high decontamination factor for boron can be achieved.
Key benefits for customers:
- Zero boron discharge to waterways
- Considerable savings in disposal cost
- BORES® produces radiochemically clean and dry alkaline borate or boric acid. Boric acid can be disposed or re-used as conventional, non-radioactive waste.
- Use of BORES® results in minimal amount of secondary waste.
- Cost efficient and robust treatment process
- BORES® is simple but effective process with less components and equipment
Tailored solutions to maximize customer value
BORES® systems are always tailored according to customer’s needs. BORES® delivery may include
- Conceptual and detailed design
- Delivery of treatment system
- Support for operation and maintenance
- Ion exchange media
We also can offer water treatment with BORES® as a service.