Probabilistic Risk Assessment
Since the mid 1980s, Fortum has systematically and continuously developed our PRA (Probabilistic Risk Asssessment) methodologies, models and applications. Throughout the years, PRA has been widely used in identifying safety improvements and optimizing plant operations in several diverse ways, greatly improving the plant safety while maintaining high load factors.
Today, the PRA for our Loviisa NPP includes core damage as well as large and early release analyses for all internal and external events in all plant operating states. All fuel locations at the Loviisa site (reactors, refueling pools and spent fuel pools) are covered. The expertise created in probabilistic analyses has also been used to assess e.g. hydroelectric dam safety improvement projects and plant availability assessments. Do not hesitate to contact us, if you’d believe our expertise could also support your powerplants and projects.
Examples of our expertise:
- Initiating event identification
- Probabilistic scenario modelling
- System reliability modelling
- Reliability data analysis
- Human reliability analysis
- Uncertainty analysis
- Availability analysis
- Risk-informed applications, such as piping inspections programme, Technical Specifications, safety classification etc.
Severe Accident Management
- SAM guidelines for nuclear plants of different technologies, final safety analysis reports, Level 2 probabilistic risk assessment, stress tests, etc.
Radiation and environmental safety
Over our years of support for the Loviisa NPP, we've built significant expertise of diverse radiation related safety analysis cases ranging from detector efficiency analysis to plant scale dose rate analysis for emergency preparedness needs. Our team is also deeply familiar with radiation analysis of spent fuel and its storage as well as final repositories. We have prepared MCNP analyses for, for example, the use of waste management facilities, spent fuel encapsulation plants and final disposal facilities. All of this is critical for the acceptance and safety of any nuclear plant and we would gladly support you with our knowledge. See below for examples of our offering and the skillset of our radiation safety experts:
- Radiation physics
- Radiation safety analyses
- Radiation monitoring, protection and safety design
- Radiological release and dose assessments
- Severe accident phenomena and analyses
- Emergency preparedness
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- Environmental monitoring and reporting
- Environmental and water permit procedures
- Meteorology and limnology expertise
- Authorized Radiation Protection Expert (RPE) activities
- Read more about these services in Finnish here, or contact our experts directly at sta [at] fortum [dot] com
As you can see, we're also deeply familiar with environmental radiation monitoring, analysis and reporting. For more information about this, see here.
Deterministic safety analyses
- We provide deterministic safety analyses support with our Apros® software based on our long experience in the nuclear industry. Please contact us if you are interested in Apros licenses, training or modelling and analysis support regarding deterministic safety analyses.