You have the opportunity to accept all cookies from the cookie banner visible in the bottom when you enter the website or you can enter the cookie settings to choose which cookies you activate and which ones you keep inactive. If you accept all cookies, the website works as expected and you will have access to all the functions.
For the purpose of the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (GDPR), the data controller of the data collected or processed is Fortum Corporation and its subsidiaries (“Fortum”).
Managing the cookies on our websites
We respect your preferences concerning cookies and you are able to easily block cookies on our websites (except strictly necessary cookies). However, you should bear in mind that inactivating cookies can affect the functionalities of our services.
Our websites are scanned with a cookie scanning tool regularly to maintain a list of cookies as accurate as possible. The list is available for you in privacy preference centre which you can visit by clicking on the cookie settings.
In the privacy preference centre, you can also easily block cookies on our sites (except strictly necessary cookies). To do this, click on the “cookie settings” button below:
First party cookies and other techniques typically used on our websites
• Cookies are small text files stored on the user’s device. Each cookie contains an anonymous unique identifier, which enables us to recognise the users and count the unique visitors on our websites. Cookies do not travel around the Internet by themselves; they can only be placed on the user’s device through a website requested by the user. Only the server which has sent the cookie can later read and use the cookie.
• Local storage technologies, such as local shared objects (Flash cookies) and HTML5 local storage, are similar to cookies. They can be stored on the user’s device to record details about certain activities or settings.
• Web beacons: Our websites also use techniques referred to as web beacons or pixel tags. These enable transferring data from the user’s device to our server. Web beacons can be embedded into website or email content. They enable our server to read certain data on the user’s device, determine when the user has viewed certain contents or a certain email, specify the date and time when the user has viewed the web beacon, and determine the IP address of the user’s device.
• Mobile identifiers: Our mobile applications include unique identifiers, which enable us to identify the user’s device when the user returns to the application or otherwise uses the service.
• Server logs: When the user enters our online service, the data sent by the user’s browser are automatically stored on our server. A log file usually contains data of the user’s IP address, browser type and language preferences, visiting time, size of the browser window, and cookies for browser identification.
Please note that it is not possible to identify the user based on cookies alone, and the service cannot know, for example, the user’s name or email address, unless the user has specifically provided them for the service. If the user is registered as a user of our digital service such as the Oma Fortum application, we can combine observed data of the user’s service use to the personal data provided to us by the user.
Third-party cookies and social plugins on our services
First-party cookies are cookies placed on our the website by us. In addition to first-party cookies, our services may include third-party cookies of advertising networks, providers of analytics and monitoring services, social media services, etc.
We use tools such as Google Analytics to monitor the use of our services. Data stored in cookies used by Google tools (such as IP addresses) can also be sent to Google servers around the world for storing. Due to this, these data may be processed on servers located outside the user’s country of residence. Google uses these data to analyse how users browse website contents and to compile summary reports on the use of websites. Google also prepares reports on the use of services offered in connection with websites and produces statistics on the use of the Internet. Google can also use the data to customise the content of advertisements shown to users based on their previous browsing history. Furthermore, Google may disclose the data to third parties if required so by law, or if Google has commissioned a third party to process the data. Google does not link user IP addresses to any other data stored by Google.
Our services may also include social plugins, such as the Facebook Like button or the Twitter Like and Share buttons. Although such social plugin buttons may be visible on our services, the related content comes directly from the service provider in question. Social plugins on our service recognise if the user has logged into the service in question and can then display customised content for the user in the social plugin on the website. Social media services using social plugins can collect data about the user’s visit in accordance with their valid privacy policies. The services in question do not disclose the data they collect to Fortum, unless the user has provided their explicit consent to do so.
Cookies on third-party websites
Purpose of using cookies
• Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
• Performance cookies: These cookies are used for internal purposes so that we can provide our users with better user experience on our websites They allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site, and will not be able to monitor its performance.
• Functional cookies: These cookies are used to remember user preferences such as user ID, language or region so that we can provide the user with customised services. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages.If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.
• Targeting cookies: These cookies store information about the user’s visits on our website, pages viewed by the user and links clicked by the user. They are used, for example, to ensure that advertisements shown to the user match the user’s interests as well as possible. Advertising cookies also enable us to show advertisements of our products to the user when they visit other websites. They can also be used to limit the displays of a certain advertisement and to measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. Furthermore, they can be used to track how the user moves between our different websites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
• Social media cookies: Social media services use social media cookies to recognise the user so that you can, for example, share articles in the service by pressing a button. They are capable of tracking your browser across other sites and building up a profile of your interests. This may impact the content and messages you see on other websites you visit. If you do not allow these cookies you may not be able to use or see these sharing tools.
Who can access the data collected with cookies?
In addition to Fortum, also our IT and analytics service providers can access the data. Third party services and social plugins might collect data about the user’s visit in accordance with their valid privacy policies.
Cookies’ expiration time
We use session cookies, which expire once the user closes the browser. In addition, we also use persistent cookies, which remain on the user’s device for a specified period of time or until the user removes them. The expiration time of persistent cookies ranges from a few months to a few years.