Description of the project
Lakeside Energy from Waste (EfW) is a joint venture project between two of the UK’s leading recycling and waste management companies; Grundon Waste Management and Viridor.
The EfW component burns primarily the residues from source segregated domestic waste. Provision has been made to provide the energy to local enterprises. Lakeside is a leading example of the UK’s EFW industries.
Under the contract Fortum was responsible for:
- A detailed Design Review
- O&M Staff mobilisation, recruiting and training
- Operation and Maintenance Management
- Implementation of the integrated management system to achieve ISO 14001: 9001 and OHSAS 18001
- Technology transfer
- Take-over of the plant into commercial operation
Fortum’s contribution to the project
- Fortum Management Team in place: Plant Manager, Operations Manager and Technical Manager
- Remaining staff of 41 employed and Lakeside, recruited and managed by Fortum
- Fortum provided Lakeside with outline of Staff Terms and Conditions staff job descriptions and recruitment processes
- Fortum training program provided to Lakeside staff and managed by Fortum which included: Competency matrix development, EHS and Staff induction training programme, Safe system of work implementation and training.
- Integrated management system in place before commercial operation date (COD): Achieved all three ISO standards within four months of commercial operation.
- Plant performance after Commercial Operation exceeded performance levels with staff trained adequately
- Terms and conditions were improved
- Fortum’s Integrated Management System based on TOPGen® consept in use at the plant
- Fortum O&M management tools in place ensuring the business is effectively & efficiently managed
- High level of EHS and safe system of work processes in place providing continual high standard of EHS at site
- Fortum’s IT tools tailored to customer’s needs
- Power Plant: Lakeside Energy from Waste (EfW) Location: Near Heathrow, Colnbrook, United Kingdom
- Power output: 37 MWe / 410,000 tonnes of resudial waste per year. Two 27 t/h incineration streams utilising advanced and proven moving grate technology
- Commercial operation: April 2010
- Customer: Joint Venture Grundon Waste Management and Viridor Waste Management. Project duration: 2007–2012
- Services: Full scope O&M Mobilisation and Management