The Nordic TSOs published their bi-annual Nordic Grid Development Plan in August and Fortum shared its written response to the grid plan on 26 September. Fortum’s key messages are the following:
- Energy transition and electrification of Nordic industries will require significant strengthening of the regional grid transmission system.
- Farsighted and transparent grid planning decreases the uncertainty of investment decisions for market participants and the overall cost of the energy transition and electrification of our industries.
- A stronger regional approach in grid planning is very welcomed and needed. The regional plan should be more than a compilation of national plans.
- Socio-economic benefits of grid investments should be assessed from the regional market perspective rather than from national perspective.
- Congestion revenues should be used to develop the grid and to reduce the bottlenecks.
- A separate regional financing envelope should be established where congestion revenues would be collected. These pooled resources would be used to remove bottlenecks from the most congested areas.
- The number of price areas in the Nordic power market should be reduced, not increased. Pooled resources would help in directing resources to the most critical areas.