Description of the project
When it begins commercial operation, the 299 MW Tees Renewable Energy Plant in the UK will be the largest and most efficient dedicated biomass fired power plant in the world. The plant fuel is wood pellets and chips from United States and Europe. Fortum eNext has an operation and maintenance (O&M) agreement of the plant.
Under long-term operation and maintenance (O&M) contract, Fortum is responsible for:
Full-scope operation and maintenance: mobilisation, staffing, operation and maintenance, management of Steam Turbine Long-Term-Service Agreement, Fortum O&M digital tools (CMMS, TOPi®).
Full-scope operation and maintenance means that we take overall responsibility for power plant operation and maintenance including operational and service management as well as personnel.
Fortum's digital solutions
CMMS is Fortum's Maintenance Management Solution based on IBM Maximo offering all necessary information about process locations, equipment and storage. It helps e.g. planning maintenance and outage processes and improves plant availability and efficiency.
TOPi® is Energy Management System for real-time monitoring and optimisation of power plant processes.
Fortum’s contribution to the project:
- Process risk assessment (HAZOP)
- OM staff recruitment
- Management of EPC training
- Provision of Fortum O&M training
- Fortum’s Operation and Maintenance IT systems including TOPi® and CMMS Fortum’s Maintenance Management Solution.
- Integrated Management System (IMS) in place before Commercial Operating Date (COD).
- Implementation of Fortum’s Safety Management System
- Overall management of power plant operation and maintenance activities
- High level of power plant availability and reliability
- Optimised power plant performance
- Cost effective management of operation and maintenance activities and optimised power plant lifetime costs
- Management of EPC training and provision of Fortum’s O&M training to ensure motivated and multiskilled staff
- Fortum’s Integrated Management System (IMS) based on TOPGen® concept in use at the plant. TOPGen® concept is a combination of organisational excellence, open leadership, multiskilled persons and technical expertise and fulfils the ISO quality certificate requirements.
- Fortum O&M management tools in place ensuring the business is effectively & efficiently managed
- Fortum Safety Management System ensures high level of EHS and safe system of work processes at site
- Modern O&M digital tools are provided for training and effective management of daily operation and maintenance activities
New 299 MWe biomass-fired CHP plant in Teesside, the UK. Fueled by wood pellets and chips from
United States and Europe.
Location: in Middlesborough, North-East England.
Power output and customers:
The Tees renewable energy power station will burn wood chips and pellets to generate
electricity for the equivalent of 600,000 homes, 24 hours a day. Meet the UK renewable energy target of 15% of all energy by 2020.
Owner: MGT Teesside Limited, in the UK
Commercial operation: due to start in 2020
Project duration: 2017 - ongoing
Long-term operation & maintenance (O&M) agreement (signed in 2016). Full-scope O&M.